Runs on food and music, will sing for chips and pasta.

Sunday, July 07, 2019

This 'Mothership' Project: My Showgirl Journal @ 1

Still trying to grasp and find a system about the daily blogging routine.

I go through my day with a constant stream of ideas for topics, and then promptly forget what my ideas were, and proceed to sit here staring at the screen, trying to recall my ideas.

Haha.

I'll get the hang of it.

Perhaps I should just focus on the core, the 'mothership' project: writing my showgirl journal.  Even though I've written bits and pieces about this showgirl life through the years, there has never been a chronological fashion to it.  I can start somewhere.

Was at an impromptu house gathering late last night, 2 floors above my pad, at R & J's.  R introduced me to Alex, whom he thought would be interested to know more about my solo albums.  He let Alex browsed the thick photobook of Cinnabar Rouge.  Alex actually started reading all the copywriting, or poems, in the album photobook, written by Ruoh Peng.  He asked me about the writing, clearly curious and something in there caught his attention, but I didn't know all of that until another hour into the party.

Somehow his questions prompted to explain to those listening, how the albums came to be.  I told the long story in one breathe, in a condensed summary:

In the past not that long ago (only 21 years ago), I was a Citibank mortgage salesperson for over two years, and then an IT association membership executive for four years, PIKOM to be exact.  When I was reminded that "Nobody gets any younger, go for what makes you tick.", I left PIKOM to be a booker in a modelling agency when I was 28, because fashion is what I love and I thought working on a job with exposure to meeting stylists and designers would open doors for my dream of becoming a stylist.  I left the agency after four months under the encouragement of my partner and best friend, when I started dreaming nightly - of models, my theatre rehearsals, fashion shows, my friends.   Printed new name cards, started a blogspot with my bio, songlist, photos and contact details on it, and started telling everyone that I was for hire to sing.  Bookings came in very slowly, things snowballed and eventually I actually made some money from performing - from all my decent paying gigs of performing at corporate dinners, weddings and parties.  I spent a great chunk of this money from shows to make my first and second albums.

When I finished the story, R gasped and said, "Wow this is the first time I hear you telling your story chronologically."

We then filled in some bits of details of how I met J in Operafest choir, when he was just 13 or 14 years old, and played his mother in a musical; and many years later we end up as neighbours here; and R and I played lovers in another musical, fast forward to 2015.


I don't know yet how I'll map out the entire journey or personal history of my work.  But I'm starting it.

All the best to me :)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|