Runs on food and music, will sing for chips and pasta.

Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Vintage Tales Series: [3] Manic 80s Jumpsuit

Going to post on FB on Oct 24
Episode 3 [Janet's Vintage Tales, No. 3 - Manic 80s Jumpsuit]
In the spirit of 'weird fashion' from last week's episode, let's have another weird one, maybe weirder one this week (I had a hard time choosing a photo from the pile I have) - this one I'd call it manic.

About the outfit, I have to admit: I really cannot remember where and from who I bought this red cotton jumpsuit from - it was secondhand.
Chong See Ming took this photo Dec 20, 2008 - "Tomboys & Angels" show at Annexe Gallery, Central Market. In fact, I've been looking at all the photos that she and I took at this show and I'm so tempted to post some of them up (I guess I will - keep an eye out on my feed tomorrow or later today).
December of 2008, it was at the wake of the authority's slam down on 'leilani lembut' problem. The gang...Pang Khee Teik did you organise this one? I forgot. Anyway, some artists and activists got together and threw a 'fashion show' at the gallery - paying tribute to humanity's colourful paradox of personalities (blurred lines of genders). Although I was a frequent audience in the theatre but I'd hardly call myself an activist or an artist yet, so you can imagine how flattered I was when I was asked to be part of the show.
Each 'model' were to portray two looks (of what I remember now): one androgynous and one feminine/masculine. The models were asked to catwalk in two personalities - the butch and the femme.
This outfit was my first look - a boy in a pair of pants but he really just wanna be a girl - hence the flowers in the hair and that wild makeup (we had a group of activists backstage with crazy makeup kits). I was slightly bewildered with the makeup given yo me, but it grew on me :) I chose this jumpsuit as my 'male alter ego' because it spelled androgynous to me.
The jumpsuit, 80s carrot-cut, cotton, a no-fuss zip-down the middle on the back. I have worn it back to front, sometimes with a belt too. Can't recall if I got it at a friend's home garage sale (was it your house Sandra Wolf?), was it from Justine Teh's Vintage Socialites?
This outfit still sits in my wardrobe now. Time for a walk in my red suit I hear?

4 Comments:

Blogger -blessed b9, Catalyst4Christ said...

Dont look too Asian, dear.
You look totally gorgeous.

8:17 AM

 
Blogger Tara Omar said...

Hiv disease for the last 3 years and had pain hard to eat and cough are nightmares,especially the first year At this stage, the immune system is severely weakened, and the risk of contracting opportunistic infections is much greater. However, not everyone with HIV will go on to develop AIDS. The earlier you receive treatment, the better your outcome will be.I started taking ARV to avoid early death but I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.As a Hiv patent we are advise to be taking antiretroviral treatments to reduce our chance of transmitting the virus to others , few weeks ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information on Hiv treatment with herbal medicine, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from Hiv her name was Achima Abelard and other Herpes Virus patent Tasha Moore also giving testimony about this same man,Called Dr Itua Herbal Center.I was moved by the testimony and i contacted him by his Email.drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com We chatted and he send me a bottle of herbal medicine I drank it as he instructed me to.After drinking it he ask me to go for a test that how i ended my suffering life of Hiv patent,I'm cured and free of Arv Pills.I'm forever grateful to him Drituaherbalcenter.Here his contact Number +2348149277967...He assure me he can cure the following disease..Hiv,Cancer,Herpes Virus,Lyme Disease,Epilepsy, ,Bladder Cancer,Colorectal Cancer,Breast Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Leukemia,Lung Cancer,Non Hodgkin Lymphoma,Skin Cancer,Lupus,Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer, fibromyalgia ,ALS,Hepatitis,Copd,Parkinson disease.Genetic disease,Fibrodysplasia disease,Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome,Liver/Kidney Inflammatory,infertility, bowel disease ,Huntington's disease ,Diabetes,Fibroid...

12:27 PM

 
Anonymous Clipping Path said...


Thanks for sharing, this is a fantastic blog post. Much thanks again.

10:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

.شركة صيانة افران
صيانة افران

6:32 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

|