Runs on food and music, will sing for chips and pasta.

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

I am 30

Here's looking at you going 30...pic by Peter Ong (yes, that opera singer!)

SeeMing asked me to check my things-to-do-before-30 and see how many checks I have. I don't have a list like that la...

Maybe I make a list of things I'm happy about turning 30 and everything else that I'm happy about, so far, ok?

1. best of all is my ability now to assert some self-control over how I react to circumstances and people's behaviour on day-to-day basis. It started when I kept having J told me the simplest advise of everyday life, "Already happened, why not make best out of whatever already happened." The simplest things like not getting upset and ruin an outing when we turned up late at a movie, or when I'm not given the hotel room I requested for...

The power of letting things slide and not let misfortunes put me down, it is a big powerful skill to have. It can't be easy all the time but with practise and patience, it changes my life.

2. performing full time. People still gasp with amusement (some with amazement I hope) when they see my name cards that say `Singer' next to my name. It's a true to honest thing I do, I'm embracing with all my heart of the advise I got when I first started singing - fake it till you make it. Can't say that I've arrived but am happy today to say that I'm still performing full time, should anyone question, I'd say that that fact alone says enough about what I've achieved.

One of the coolest things for me so far, in singing for a living is that I'm sometimes hired to perform songs that I grew up listening to. Those songs left deep impression in me, when my elder siblings were in school and I was home alone with only my mom's cassettes and her cassette player as my playmates. Who would have thought that one day I would be paid to perform those songs from my childhood? Simply wonderful.

3. J. loving every bit of having him in my life now, hope it lasts forever and ever.

4. continued my savings. For someone who isn't a bit ambitious in making the bucks (comparing with people who actually make plans), it's a wonderful feeling knowing that I have a small savings and it's growing.

5. taken driving test and bought a car. I still can't stop bragging how I passed my driving test on first attempt without giving in to the norm-under-counter payment. Owning a car and being able to drive myself around is really, one of the best things to have. On my faithful Sunny Boy, I never regretted having chosen the old rag, it's been 4 years and it runs! The car has seen some of the most glamorous people in it, gone to the best places in town n out of, old rag or not, it's one happening vehicle in town!

6. friends!!! A healthy life's support system!!

7. having done one supporting role in my so-called 4 years in theatre. The experience of working on a role has led me to discovery and realisation about the importance of acting for singers.

I was once the kind of singers who shy away from wanting to improve my acting skill, thinking that is an actor's concern and I should just honing my singing skills. Now I see that there is no such thing as making a niche in just being able to sing very well, in the business of things I do, show business, theatre, whatever you call it -- an actor's skills are as important as having your wallet with you when you eat out.


So that's my list for today. My wish for the life ahead is

better discipline, it makes me happy when I can time keep better and read more books, clean my room more frequently, sleep more, watch more DVDs...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|