Runs on food and music, will sing for chips and pasta.

Thursday, April 05, 2007

Reviews, audition & rehearsals

Done with battle of good and evil in Magic Flute, I'm back in rehearsal for the story of the, what I call, The Tragic Butterflies -- Butterfly Lovers (The Musical) for its Genting run; and in between rehearsals, I squeezed in an overnight in Singapore for some cabaret action, audition for Wild Rice's Beauty World (Jan 2008).

Flute finale, pic by Calvin Goh

The Beauty World hopefuls...behind me - Sushee, Wei Ching, Doreen & Trev
the dance audition was...beyond me. I was thinking, "Give me a week and I will deliver a more convincing version of this...8/8 routine.." The dance audition routine include some pretty amazing (for me) jumps, pirovets, splits and more twirls -- the kind of stuff that would have been friendly to someone who's done some basic ballet n jazz. I had fun dancing but I doubt my moves were anything close to impressive...

I was right because after the dance audition, I was told I didn't have to wait round for the next audition - a song and a monolouge.

But what do you know...

Three Malaysian hopefuls took bus and taxis to this audition across, a few states, an ocean (?) and two immigration checks -- apparently that was good enough reason for the PERSON on the panel to decide that he would listen to the two of us who got dropped after dance routine.

Doreen was the only one in our of group of 6 who was told to stay for the song n monolouge audition/round. We got into self-consolation mood quickly while we wished Doreen kick ass in her next round. While I was half analysing the outcome of the audition and chatting with the rest, the assistant came round and informed that Ivan (Heng, director) would like to see the remaining two KLites.

Stirred by the good fortune of our second chance, S and I went in and did our best for the Singaporean who believed in the good effort of coming to audition from KL.

After another round of quick chat and exchange of email adds with our new friends from Singapore, we took a cab to our hotel for the night. We met two zany taxi drivers during our stay there, one of performed a few Elvis hits while driving and we chipped in as chorus girls.

We wind down after audition n dinner at Jazz At Southbridge, thanks Sushee for the wonderful introduction to great Singapore jazz scene. Jazz bird Don belting it....
So there, I have my first experience of audition outside Malaysia, not forgetting also it was my first monologue experience. Unnerving they were but I think I could do more of these...though now some dance basics would do me good.

Home front, we at the Buttefly Lovers had techical run at Genting International Showroom
Jason Lai (Sijiu & Asst Stage Manager) coaching me on a Star-Trek version of our show, that's his version of an alien character in Butterfly Lovers

"Further readings"

Reviews of Flute
The Star
Kakiseni
Malay Mail


Previews of Butterfly Lovers
The Star, April 3
The Star, March 29

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|