Runs on food and music, will sing for chips and pasta.

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Magic shows

It's amazing how after a year I left the modelling agency, I can still look back at pictures of models I know back then and be amazed at how make-up and photography could transform a woman's looks.

I mean, without knowing a person you see on a big screen or a glossy page, wouldn't you say that you'd feel a tinge of admiration for an image so well, well-made?

These days we all grow up watching popular media present to us the idea of beauty and perfection, giving and feeding us the perception of what life should be like. I still love going through fashion magazines and admire the great work in them, but imagine when I first got to see how that work was done in front of me...

Well, I behaved coolly on the outside, but inside, I was mighty impressed at how the world could look so different, with the great touch of a make-up artist, hair stylist, photographer, carefully picked outfit, perfect lighting and flattering camera angle.

Young models, Danielle from Brazil and Fico from Argentina...lost touch with them since I left, sigh.

I have met many models whom I admire for their brains and warmth but mainly, I envy how those (other) silly, ordinary, spoilt, plain, uninspiring girls and boys are constantly being transformed to extraordinary images. When that's done, these people don't remind you any bit of those uninspiring girls I seen before, before the works :)

I left the agency job and life without feeling impressed with the glittering world of designer couture, fashion show cocktails, celebrities, very tall and beautiful people. Though I left feeling glad that I have worked for the, possibly the youngest, and absolutely gorgeous lady boss of mine, Min Jee; and met many superbly flamboyant stylists, fantastic make up artists.

Am truly grateful for the short time I worked in the industry which helped me to further confirm my passion in the arts. It was a time when I had to choose between what I could do very very well potentially (a talent booker and show person) and what makes my heart sing.

The models got along with me well, I could handle the stress of the events and handling models...I could see myself working for a long time, jazzing in and out of shootings, fittings, calling models non-stop on my mobile, picking up labels and calling cues at fashion shows.

Now that I've chosen the other path.

Though not impressed with the industry, I cannot discredit the genius I saw at work there. Now very much at home in the business where just looking good is not enough...work is not so glamorous and there's freebies like cocktails or sexy couture but for me, going into rehearsal for a song beats smooching with top models.

While the world (including myself) continues to be mesmerized with the big screen, perfect skin and luscious lips, I'm happy to be going down my journey as a soul doctor. I'm happy to bump into models I know (and remember me as their mama-san once) and know they are doing what makes them feel good...like me, doing what makes me feel good :)

Some shots from my booker stint

Hannah Tan (she knows more than modelling...) modelling at jewellery show
backstage where the boys smiled for camera, on run ways they...dun smile that much
Amber Chia, backstage at Christian LacroixZuzana too knows more than just strut around prettily, she is a triathlon athlete

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|