Runs on food and music, will sing for chips and pasta.

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

My Sister The Writer

Kids these days grow up on TGVs, KFCs, computers, DVD players, roller-heel-shoes (what the hell you call those annoying shoes?), MTV, Astro....the list is long and you know it.

I have no regrets that I grew up with plastic dolls (no Barbie, very expensive la), a family TV where I watched most English TV shows not knowing half the dialogues, and most importantly, I grew up with lots of books, and with my siblings who love reading.

My sister borrowed books from library and from friends, my dad bought books for my brother, I survived on my twice a week trip to the school library and new books I bought with my dad's money, of course. We read at meals, in front of TV, before bed, in the bus...

That's a far cry to what my sister can afford these days. She went on from borrowed books to winning prizes for writing. Remember Dewan Siswa? In secondary school she was the only Chinese chick back then to get that second place in one writing competition.

When she was flying with the airline after her music school stint, other stewardesses would shop till they dropped while my sister ventured the foreign land snapping pictures and later on turned them into travelling stories for magazines and papers.

After the babies arrived, she juggled babysitting and writing. I remember the trips I made for her to submit her pictures at the local paper office. Many times I get calls from friends telling me, "Your sister's article out today in xxxx."

Well, after her many folders stuffed with clippings of her published work, finally, my sister has arrived at her first book. A book! The book, is for another post, The Sky Is Crazy.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|