Runs on food and music, will sing for chips and pasta.

Friday, July 13, 2018

The Gingerbread Witch Diary - Facebook Post @ May 16

May 16th, 2018: 

Long post here>


Late last year one night when I was out drinking beer with some jazz kakis I got a call from laoshi Cecilia Yap, inviting me to audition for a part in an opera this year. She assured me that it would be a wonderful opportunity for me as a singer and performer to play the role of The Gingerbread Witch in Hansel & Gretel (in English). She even said that if I took it up, I would finish learning the music fast.

I accepted the invitation and started learning the 12-page long of rather complicated music with the very talented and very patient pianist Soon Kun Ming. I remember midway through my practice one day, I left voice memos for Cecilia through WhatsApp, wailing and crying about how hard the music is. She replied me with another voice memo: laughing at my antics but reassuring me that it would be worth it.

Came the end-of-January audition, I went in telling myself: no stress, no expectation, you owe it to yourself to do something new - a first opera audition in more than 10 years. 
Two weeks later, late one night a message came from producer and founder of Kuala Lumpur City Opera (KLCO), Danny Chen, saying they would like to offer me the role of the witch. Before I had any time to express my (annoying bad habit) self-doubts and concerns, I was welcomed on board and informed of the collection of the full score for the opera. 
Anyway I have decided to bite the bullet and face the challenge head on, this is a very special gift to my 41-year-old self a chance to do...a few things I've never done before: playing a principle role in an opera, playing a witch, and being part of an ensemble and company - KLCO - that I have admired and am mighty proud of. I am grateful for the confidence and faith the company have on me - Thank you Cecilia YapDanny Chen and Soon Yoon Ho
Thank you for reading this granny tale of this chapter of my life. I can't wait for my next rehearsal...the work is tough, the people I work with are wonderful, I will work hard. 
Shows on July 5, 7 & 8 at KLPAC Pentas 1. Early bird discount (20%) is on now till June 4. Tickets on sale now on TicketPro website.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|