Runs on food and music, will sing for chips and pasta.

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

The Winning Loser

My coach gave me and SSiah a Tower Records gift voucher on Sunday night, after losing at yet another merry round of Song Fest.

That was very sweet of him, he is many things but sweet, usually.

Anyway, it was worth every inch of my effort, joining the competition I mean.

First of all, I got my objective right -- it was to gain stage exposure and experience. Winning really should be secondary for now.

Second, it was a FUN FUN FUN sing-song fest. Have you been to any singing competition where the judges comment session was also entertaining? No forgetting the wacko MC with the mike, all the contestants were friends...the contemporary category was especially entertaining.

Again, it was exhilarating on stage experience for me, again I was happy that I was able to enjoy myself while singing on stage...except I could do with more practices on those repertoire. It was nice to have friends (yes, somehow I meet mainly friends in this circle) coming up to tell me how I have improved in the singing department. However, how much I have improved since last year has little bearing on how I would fare in the competition, that would have to do with how much finesse and practise I have gained and put in for the occasion.

The hall was nice and big hall, great acoustics (righto?) though the stage is freaking high, maybe not a bad thing because when you are singing your heart out up there the judges were nowhere near your eye level...

Over 14 candidates in the contemporary category, 4 in the group, and 5 in the classical.

I was the only `round-3' kid in the classical category -- I took part in all the Song-Fest since its first one in 2002, then 2004.

The eager musicians made a bee line, going after the judges for constructive criticism and advice. What I got bottom line was - more practice more practice....what else, Mozart was sung too heavy, sickly-strategize repertoire for finals and need MORE practice.

Got a certificate for participation, a VCD from Philharmonic Society's past production and, a voucher for Just Heavenly cakes.

I won't cry those sappy tears for not getting a placing this year...with my new job settling in and getting all busy, singing will be an even more precious experience. Will treasure every chance I have...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|