Runs on food and music, will sing for chips and pasta.

Thursday, December 04, 2008

I'm happy because I sing

"I don't sing because I'm happy; I'm happy because I sing." - William James (1842 - 1910), American psychologist & philosopher

I started using this quote on my name cards a few years ago, and when I started blogging I use it as tag line too. I never really put much thought in how the quote relates to me, except how clever it is and how I know it describes exactly what I do too.

Only when J start to tell me how happy I look whenever I sing, I realise that it's something that happens naturally and I never notice it myself.

Anyway, my voice is finally back to normal and my bad cold has subsided. Am back in business.

An event agent said something funny to me earlier..."Haiya Janet of course you are happy because you sing, because you get paid to sing mah, of course la you happy."

I replied (an attempt to be clever about it) saying people want to pay me to sing because when I sing am happy, hence spreading joy and happiness to the people. -- so while am at it, I better make some bucks to pay bills...

Has it ever struck you? That we pay for art & entertainment to be touched emotionally, for that immaterial satisfaction? I guess many of us don't realise it, music is the medicine, the vitamin & minerals for the soul. Our minds and hearts reach for it, we just don't think about it consciously.

Ok now, that aside....maybe one day soon I will think about having some sort of plan for my future (my hairstylist Sam asked me during my last appointment with him, whether I plan to perform till old or would I be planning to start a singing school or some sort in future), of course I'd love to sing till old old age but don't know if that's good enough a plan -- will people still pay to watch an old lady sing if she isn't the likes of Ella Fitzgerald or Edit Piaf?

I don't know, really. I don't have any plans except to just keep singing...

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|