Runs on food and music, will sing for chips and pasta.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Sleepless in Wikipedia-land

I can't remember starting when, but I've become a serial-Wikepedia-reader-in-the-night-time. I find myself awake at 3am a lot, glued in front of my PC screen, reading things off Wikepedia.

It was easy to get hooked, I needed to find out some general information about something, that must have been months and months ago; J had told me about the wonders of Wikepedia like ageeees ago but I only caught on ages after that....

If you're a user of Wikipedia you'd know that you can hardly ever complete reading an article without ending up wanting to know more about other things that are related to the root subject that you were researching on...

So here I am, night after night, in my room....reading endless chains of article about anything, and everything.

One reading leads to another, and another, another one, one more, one more...

about a famous book, a singer, a celebrity, a historical event, world, history, scientific surveys, movies, technology, country, a song, an author...

I can't quite explain it but it feels a bit like as if I'd grown knowledge-thirsty overnight. It's not like a fabulous handbag from a flea market which I can show off to friends, but it's a private nice feeling I get when I'm reading about all these whatever-things...around the clock whenever the need arises, to know about something, something that has an entry on Wikipedia.

Try it, `google' anything on Wikipedia today, you might just get hooked like me.

Right now I'm reading the production notes on the film Fight Club, this morning I was obsessed with information on Edith Piaf.

A day ago it was about song cycles, and Beatles.

Two nights ago was the novel Trainspotting.

Two weeks ago it was all about the iconic Irish writer Samuel Beckett.

Some time back it was history of China, history of human sexuality....

Curiosity is giving me sleepless nights. It's funny how an interesting book at hand while I'm lying in bed can send me to dreamland pretty fast while I'm able to stay awake for a way longer time (when I should be snoring away), straining my eyes at 3am, reading about homoeroctism on dear old Wiki.

Enuf said, I best finish (a tough order) up my readings this time round and get to bed.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|