Runs on food and music, will sing for chips and pasta.

Monday, April 25, 2005

The `Flea' Trip to Perth

Perth report

The Streets

The only strays on the streets of Perth were the Pigeons and the Aborigines.

One pigeon fed on the crumbs outside Hungry Jack's where I savored my vegetable baguette. The Aborigines shopped in the same shop as me on an early Saturday morning, Good Sammy, Murray Street. Our tour coach guy said most of them live on the government subsidy and drink all day. The first thing you notice about them is the color black, black hair, skin black from dirt, clothing black from dirt, toe nails black from dirt...the bags they carried were black also.

I walked past a group of adult natives and one of them made kissing noise, when I came out of the store half an hour later there were 4 policemen giving them trouble (maybe the cops thought the natives were giving trouble to the city).

Didn't see any cats the whole time I was there. The only dogs I saw were good looking canines on leash with healthy looking owners.

The lingerie

Walked in the lingerie section in Target in Hay Street Mall and ahem, most of the bras cups on the shelves are bigger than my head…scary. the sizes were in 10A, 12A, 14A, 10B, 12B...I bought two shorts, no bra.


Shopping Etiquette

Know your thing when you shop in a charity shop in Perth, always put the clothes you don’t want back on the shelves with the hangers…or you will get the sometimes scary reminder from the efficient shop keeper. Bargaining is not a custom. I brought a foldable shopping bag with me; some shops ask if you need a plastic bag if they feel that you don't need one.

The Harvest - second hand buys

Two vintage hats (think a cross between 50's glam party hat and Russian army hat) - Subiaco markets
One CUE corset, originally on the mannequin of the shop with vintage hats
One purple flower print retro cat suit - Good Sammy
One white floor length chiffon strapless dress - Salvation Army
Handful of winter skirts, some for SM - Good Sammy
Two mesh bags - Salvation Army
Two 20's beady hair piece - Fremantle markets (brand new)
One DOTTI sequin mini skirt - St Vincent de Paul, Fremantle
One gypsy skirt - Good Sammy
One denim micro mini - Good Sammy
One retro carton print jeans - Good Sammy
One leather handbag - Salvation Army
Multicolor sequins - Good Sammy
One Meyer bath towel for my brother - Meyer (brand new)
Two pairs of made-in-China Street fashion shoes - Perth train station (brand new)
Handful of earrings - everywhere
One plastic belt - Good Sammy
A few blouses - Salvation Army & Good Sammy
A yellow sequin tank top - St Vincent de Paul, Fremantle
One wide leather belt - Subiaco markets
One silk scarf - Subiaco markets

Other time I spent looking for the few vintage clothes boutique and found them closed down or moved. I found one Lifeline outlet but it was closed on Saturday.

Had good dinner on Saturday night with the office folks at Criterion Hotel, Hay Street. I had spinach & cashew nuts risotto, eggplant stack and we ordered the Testing Plate that has a bit of everything, mushrooms, chicken wings, feta cheese...

After dinner we tried our luck at coffee elsewhere, no luck, walked around the blocks and ended up in the hotel, I gave a little fashion show in my room on my newly acquired `flea' clothes...the girls were very very amused by the denim micro mini...and the cat suit.

Weather

The hottest day being Friday where we went to Fremantle. On the second day I figured out my tank tops and thin skirts would work so I put away the jeans and tuck the cardigan in my handbag when I go out. Teh funny thing was there were people in hot pants and singlet and then there are folks in coats and boots. In fact I wonder how some of them survive in those trenches....

We couldn't figure out why the Australians like walking around bare footed so much. I had my taste of walking on the streets without shoes when my black Japanese slippers gave way to too much walking, I walked two blocks kaki ayam to the nearest shoe shop and got a new pair, green, AD 12.95. But one thing about walking bare footed there is that it feels less grubby and the roads were cool enough for walking without protection.

Perth - 19C
KL - 27C

Till the next time, I'm actually sick of `lounging out' on the plane (economy class) for now. My room is in a mess, my documents aren't filed, laundry not done, wardrobe spilling out with clothes and other funny things...

Can't believe this is my last week at this work place. My recital is due in one month...and new job assignment due in hours...

Life's never dull.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|