Runs on food and music, will sing for chips and pasta.

Wednesday, March 30, 2005

All Looks, Just Looks...is that all?

Ok, here's topic for thought for Wednesday...

There's always been too much emphasis on looking good, we are missing the big picture.

It feels weird, coming from someone who spends a lot of time and money on looking good, to say this. But even a `sometime-air-head' like me know there's more than just looks.

I cringed at how my pictures turned out in magazines...only when I'm done with whining over the bad photo I shift my attention to the story written, the content is in the words...not my make-up!!

We generally react to prettier things, I see it all the time. In a car show the skinnier girls would get more attention, fairer girls sells more cosmetics, the cakes in nicer boxes seem tastier, etc.

While we spend more money building what's on the outside, we are neglecting the inside.

Taller buildings but shorter tempers...
Nicer cars but ill-mannered drivers...

Tomorrow I will witness a group of people paying tribute to my girlfriend (amongst few other women) who has done many good things for people around her, who remembers names better than any girl putting on flawless make-up. Her hair is always a little messy, her bag is always over-stuffed with diaries, brochures of Malaysian Nature Society, stories written for magazines...

If anything, I want her to know that people like her for what she is and not for how she looks. There are many shinier, taller popular girls in town (and in society pages) who are also well-liked, but for what? For how they always brighten a party with their perfect hair? My girlfriend also lit up a room, by her personality, not with her shoes.

And her lover sees all that. Lucky guy.

I once lamented to Goddess that I might be a blonde because I love clothes to bits...she said, "No, why should fashion be shallow? It's only shallow if you think that's what it's all about, just clothes and nothing else."

So go think about it. Next time you gasp when you see a gorgeous woman in a nice car, go find out whether she is also nice and intelligent.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|