Runs on food and music, will sing for chips and pasta.

Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Surreal but real

I was at work updating some database, some company moved office so I updated the address column, so that whoever uses this database later will have the right address to reach this company...

Then I realised in a few weeks' time I won't be able to ensure this will be done every time some company moves office. It's something I have been doing for the past four years...

So surreal, that I'm leaving my work/home for the past four years. I remember what I wore to the interview (black sleeveless turtleneck with black skirt), what I wore to this office to collect my offer letter (black tank top with Indian Skirt and Batek jacket with big earrings -- my new colleagues then got a bit of a shock) and what I wore on my first day, April 2001 (MNG white three-quarter-sleeve tee with corduroy knee length skirt and platform heels).

Then, I had no idea how I was going to fit in in the semi-corporate environment, especially the desk-bound job, with serious-looking folks. But I fit in and I can't really complain at all, I found myself making friends and really, things just got very comfortable.

Nice. As I grew more experienced in what I do, the work gets less mundane and I was given more responsibilities, nice...the feeling of ownership at work = self-worth.

Two trains and a bus ride and a little bit of walk, to get to my office from Pandan Indah, back then. This place has really seen me grow not only as an employee but as a person; since my trains' days I have then moved to PJ for the first time and `took up' walking to work as transport, for a long while I relied (not a good thing at all, 100% dependency) on my favourite KAWASAKI Zepher rider to work, then the rider signed me up for driving class and ahem,

I passed driving as a first time candidate, no bribes, nothing, just plainly my talent and charm.

So I started driving to work, group lunch, meetings, events...drove my boss home when his car was in the workshop.

Till today I'm still amazed at the fact that I drive around town on `auto pilot mode'...you see I spent too many years thinking I wasn't going to learn how to drive at all because I was the only one without a license at the age of 25.

Surreal.

Office folks say they will miss my antics and noise here...really, it's quite noisy, I swear a lot, sing in indecent volume during hours, talk too loud, prance around...I think people like that in an office even though I can't really rationale that those are acceptable behaviour in a place like this.

I will miss them too, sharing magazines with the girls, buying birthday cakes, make certain ppl buy lunch, the mamak after work, the tension leading to events, the staff trips, staff training we went through together...too much to list.

I hope my next work home will embrace my expletives and singing with love...haha.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|