Runs on food and music, will sing for chips and pasta.

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

SEPET premiere

Z said it's a shame that folks who are most likely to pay to watch Yasmin Ahmad's SEPET have all been invited to the premiere.

Yes, we were all there...you name it, the theatre sluts, journalists, actors, music composers, poets, singers, WordUppers, bloggers, students...

We finally settled down by 9:30pm to watch the movie.

I love the acting, the flow, the sound track, the dialogues...but I have to agree with Alfian that some of the elements are too far-fetched. I quote Alfian in his Kakisenireview:

Yasmin Ahmad will, of course, be accused of a rose-tinted utopianism. One function of art is of course to reflect reality as we know it. But another much-neglected function is to propose other realities, to portray the exceptions, because these lead us to imagining possibilities. I think there are parts of Sepet where the sentimentality or grandstanding could have been restrained. But I still believe it represents a landmark attempt at articulating the subject of a multiracial Malaysia.

Like I think Orked's parents are too cool for this background, Seow Loong aka Jason is too cultured a VCD peddler....yes, yes, I know Yasmin is throwing all stereotyping to the drain with her characterization....I quote TV Smith:

In this genuine Malaysian film, Yasmin throws every stereotypes into the kitchen sink - a Malay scholarship recipient, a repressed Baba woman, a bigamous Chinese man, a Melayu Celup, a Chinese VCD peddler, a Tongkat Ali dependent - and even a road safety message. The only person missing is the Bhai guy. Out of it, comes an honest and brilliant film woven around a tragic love story.

source: http://www.mycen.com.my/duasen/230205_sepet.html

After quoting two reviews, I urge that you go to TGV and watch it yourself and decide for yourself.

I wouldn't mind going again with you if you asked me, after all, I didn't pay to get in last night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|