Runs on food and music, will sing for chips and pasta.

Thursday, February 17, 2005

Girl In The City

Can I have a show of hands of women who responded to strangers chatting you up on a street?

So many things can happen to a woman in a city, some funny, some sweet, some gruesome, some bizarre, embarrassing, etc. I usually record mine down.

Last night...

I made an appointment to meet with M, this guy from the Sat night speed date, one of my matches, and he was the first guy who called up the next morning and asked to meet up.

Hung around KL Plaza main door while waiting for M to appear, was there earlier because I had dinner with SM (Wedding Of The Year Girl). I killed time by snooping around in MNG boutique (ended up with a white shirt). There were two Caucasian guys in the boutique as well, they tried to come in through a glass door that was locked so I gestured to them from inside the store to come in through the other entrance.

Bought the shirt and wandered outside to kill some more time. I must have had this `I'm available, come hit on me' look because the two guys from the store approached me, right there at the entrance of KL Plaza. They said I was so nice to them at MNG shop that they had to come up to me and offer to buy me a drink...I don't know whether it was more embarrassing or flattering, the fact that I was waiting for a stranger I met during speed dating and being approached by two more strangers. I mean, I'm proud to be an easy-going and friendly person, confident and sociable but at that moment I was feeling a little, cheap. Oh, not to mention, M is also a Caucasian.

(Anyway, I talked to two fellas anyway while I continue to wait for bloody M who was late. Both Austrians, one of them said he works in the KL Austrian Embassy and the other was visiting him in the city)

In another incident, JW told me just recently, that, W, a Chinese guy from New York whom we met during our back-packing trip in Hat Yai, got married and is now lecturing back in the US, staying with his new Spanish wife. Fine, but he also told her that I was making passes at him during the Hat Yai trip.

Gee, I don't even remember being attracted to him....so what the hell happened?

(for record, JW wrote back and told him he must have mistaken my friendliness for that)

Ok ok fine, how many of you men out there feel the same way? That I'm ALWAYS making passes at YOU? Speak up! I will change my evil way!

Or is it just the men?

Remember the SPG phenomenon? Some of my closer girlfriends have admitted that they think I look like the stereotype SPG (!!!!) -- maybe that's why, I have the SPC-factor going for me, not too tall, tanned or dark skin, black hair and the F-word: Friendly.

Some say the whites could tolerate me a little better than Chinese (J is Chinese!!!). I didn't think many people think a lady's booming laughter in public is very attractive.

Well, anyway, what happened last night apart being embarrassing to me, was kinda funny. I had a laugh and told myself I have to share this.

Oh, funny -- one of the Austrian guys, the one visiting his friend in KL asked me before they pulled themselves away from me: "So Janet, can I know....you mean you are waiting for that guy friend of yours, to meet up and...just to talk?"

I wanted to say something like: "Yes, I usually talk to them before sex." but thought it would be too damaging so I said: "Yes, just to talk, you know? I like to talk."

He looked bewildered and nodded, "Ya ya, I think you LIKE to talk."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|