Runs on food and music, will sing for chips and pasta.

Monday, December 27, 2004

The Year That Be

You want to be Evelyn Toh now. You want to be her, really. This is one great year for her, my friend. (1) First runner at the district level art song singing competition in August, (2) Champion at the Malaysia-Singapore Art Song Singing Competition in the week after, and now -- (3) Overall champion at the Malaysia Art Song Singing Competition -- National Finals.

Although I too wish I were Evelyn Toh today...I know I can't complain about my year. So many great things going for me, they are great by my standard...

I got my driving license and a car, first time in my life. I'm independent, finally.

I moved out and got more out of it.

The singing front has been totally unbelievably happening for me this year -- got a role in an operetta, got into the district level top four placing; tried out at the Malaysia-Singapore Championship audition; I had my first vocal recital; I did my first voice exam and got distinction; I tried out at every single audition in town this year and completed the highly challenging PGL audition; got my first paying corporate gig and going for my second this week; had my first taste of the national finals...I did I'm proud that I put in effort in the list of activities.

However, the year to come, these months ahead of me, I know I will have to work even harder to go as far as my singing can take me.

Justin said the results of my National Finals were not really about my performance on that morning -- the results that morning simply reflect on my day-to-day, week-to-week practice.

I maybe be good, but it's obvious now that I just wasn't good enough for the Final round last weekend, in that particular line up of sopranos. I realized the hours I put in for THIS competition was no match to the hours I put in for my exam. Time and time again it has been proven that lots and lots of practice will show in my performance...you log in the hours and you will be rewarded, it might not be reward in a placing or a trophy but people will tell you that you did well.

More practice, more practice....and maybe a slightly different repertoire.

That's on singing. Other things I could do with some improvement is saving money...and create my styling profile.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|