Runs on food and music, will sing for chips and pasta.

Wednesday, July 20, 2022

A little fan at the dentist - Gratitude

 Posted on Facebook @ May 25, 2022

Taking a few minutes break from serious writing work at my desk an, want to share a light piece of writing about a cute and heart-warming encounter I had today.

I had a slightly gruesome dental outing today with my trusted dentist and friend Sam Tseu. (Gruesome because we had to do an impromptu small surgery, but doctor Sam took it in a strike, so did I, haha). As I was paying there were a lady with her son who just arrived for their appointment, as I walked past this lady with a mask on, I heard her saying my name with a giggle. "Janet. Wow, didn't expect to bump into you here." So I stopped and stare into her masked face and look at the young boy next to her, hoping to find clues of who they were.

My face was dry and cold, from hours of being on the dentist chair, and smeared with lingering pain from the surgery. But I giggled along with the woman and waited for her to say more.

"My boy was telling me, this jie-jie always singing on TV one. He always see you singing those songs one." I think that was what she said, in between confusion and pain, my cognition was affected too, lol. "On TV where they introduce about the food, you are there singing one..., my boy always sing with you one."

Then I know what it was. I'm not a singer who sings on TV much, clearly not, not yet anyway. But I did appear on an Astro's 2022 CNY food show for a few episodes with boss Tay Cher Siang. [Heart2heart Kitchen 新春食堂].

The lady was clearly amused and delighted with our encounter, and the spectacled small boy was clearly the shyer one, standing still at the counter at the clinic and watching me shyly as his mom went on about his antics.

I too was shy, I don't remember what I said to them but I know I was friendly, but shy. I said goodbye to them and walked down the stairs to my car thinking how cute they were.

A few thoughts came to me as I walked in the rain to my car, still smiling from the encounter but not too smiley because my gum was still tender and sore from the surgery:

1) It never fails to amaze and amuse me that I am still recognisable to strangers who have seen me with full makeup on stage (or TV) - when I have no makeup on. To me, I think I look quite completely different with makeup on. Well, apparently the makeup does not mask the unique face that my mom and dad gave me :)

2) It ALWAYS delight me to no end when I meet someone very young who appreciates my work - singing old songs. Songs and music that are clearly not hip and not known to attract young listeners. This joy of knowing and meeting these young fans can last for days, and will be put in a jar for emergency use. When I am down with shitty feelings I will open the jar and rub some of that magic ointment of joy on my head.

3) I have spent a great deal of time during my childhood and teenage-hood agonising over my face and appearance, feeling un-pretty and unattractive. Took me long enough, when I have aged and lived a little, to know the real meaning of being and feeling attractive - make meaningful work that you can share with others. When the recipient of your work respond to you with joy and resonance, you know you are beautiful and attractive.

Thank you lady and son. I hope Dr Sam tells you where and when to come see me sing again, live - out of TV and....or maybe you can bring home my CDs, hehe.

OK, break over. Back to work, but happier that I have written this story for me to remember.

#janetwrites
#janetleemusic
#showgirldiary
#kakakjanet
#auntyjanet
#musings

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|