Runs on food and music, will sing for chips and pasta.

Saturday, May 02, 2020

It's NOT workout - it's a gift

April 21 @Facebook

Had an epiphany earlier towards the end of workout when I was cooling down with this class. 
We call this thing a “workout”, something to compare to working, even sloughing out. But what I felt just 10 minutes ago while cooling down - after I pucker my face like a sour plum while getting my abs to cooperate with sit-ups, lunges and free weights - I realized this isn’t WORK for me. This has, something totally TOTALLY surprised me, become something my body and mind look forward to receiving every morning. I’ve never in my life imagined one day I’ll be living my days looking forward to the short 30-40 minutes every morning to...working out! 
This has only been more than two weeks of me in this routine. Get out of bed, make bed, boil water, make lemon water, set my mat in the middle of room bedroom, select a workout video and get down to this “moving-meditation’. 
I understand now, today, that, exercising daily is a gift I give to myself. My mind and body have been receiving it and I can see that the peaceful feeling I get every morning before I set out to do other work, is an honest and genuine gratitude I have for this life, for the body I have that is still healthy. 
A day ago I woke up later than my new usual, and told myself I’d give myself a break from the morning exercise. So I laid back and took it slow. But 10 minutes later, something in me stirred and I could literally hear a voice from my body saying, “Hey dude, but we are waiting for the workout, man! Come on, move it. You don’t feel like it today but we want it!” 
I swear, it was like my body and mind didn’t know how to shift into next gear for the day. While my head/brain attempted to skip the routine workout, something else in me, part of my brain too I’m sure - was demanding for what it has gotten used to. 
I was in shock, pleasantly shocked. So I got out and made the lemon water and got to my mat and did a shorter workout for the day. 
...ok I’m late for lunch! Just thought I’ll write these down before it escapes me 🙂
Whaddaya think? Wanna give this a try? 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|