Runs on food and music, will sing for chips and pasta.

Saturday, May 02, 2020

After watching Jeff Gibbs' The Planet of Humans


April 29 @ Facebook:

That's why some of us like Thanos... This is another of my TLDR posts. It's an emotional response to a topic that I hold close to heart, after watching this documentary today. Read on only if you care to investigate. Chances are you won't even see this post on your feed. It's not entertaining...
Here we go. 
Am I afraid to voice an unpopular and a potentially nihilistic message? Is there a possibility of not going to the extreme? Being unpopular and morbid aside, with the piece of opinion I have now, I am trying to put myself in others' shoe and imagine what would my opinion be - 
If I were not me, but someone who WANTS to, and plan to have a child? -- I will come back to why I ask this later..
Saw this link on Anna Rina's feed and promptly saved it and watched it in two sittings today. 
This documentary, presented by Michael Moore , is like the many ones that I enjoyed watching before, is grim, moving. YES, I have read reviews and responses from the OTHER side that says this film has many erroneous and misleading facts about clean energy and climate activism. 
But the bottom line remains crystal and sparkling clear for me - the world is fucked because there are too many human beings using too much, too fast.
So then what? Every new mother, every couple planning to have children should be ostracised and chided for destroying our planet? What if tomorrow I wake up and really wish to have a child of my own blood? 
....I will quote from the film: 
"It took modern human tens of thousands of years to reach a population of 700 million. And then we tapped into millions of years of stored energy, known as fossil fuels. Our human population exploded. It increased by 10 times, in a mere 200 years. Our consumption has also exploded. On average, ten times per person, and many times more in the Western world.
You put the two together, the result us a total human impact 100 times greater than only 200 years ago. 
That is the most terrifying realisation I've ever had. 
We humans are poised for a fall from an unimaginable height. Not because of one thing, not climate change alone, but all the human-caused changes the planet is suffering from." 
2nd quote, from Sheldon Solomon:
"We don't like we're animals. So we don't like that we're gonna die someday. What human beings did in yesterday is to envelope ourselves in culturally constructive belief systems.
...And every culture offers its denizens hope of immortality, either literally or symbolically. Then the question is, well, what happens when you bump into people who don't share those beliefs? Whether you know it or not, whether you like it or not, but thats undermining the confidence, 
If we were to make progress, whatever that word means, even to persist as a form of life, we're gonna need to radically overhaul our basic conception of who and what we are and what it is that we value.
Because those people on the left or on the right, that think we are going to be able to discover more oil. Our solar panel ourselves into the future, where life will look pretty much like it does now...only cleaner and better, I think that's just frankly delusional." 
========
As I am typing this post, I am multitasking by reading reviews and critic of this documentary - to try to gain a balance knowledge of the issue at hand. I am still reading - and I will share the links in the comment section. 
(There is one article titled "Having fewer kids won't save the climate.") 
This is not a post with any conclusion. I'm as disturbed as ever, and I question my way of living as part to blame (or not?). 
On a happier note, I have started passing my kitchen organic waste to my home farmer-friend Pc Foo who lives down the road from me, for his home farm composting. Thank you neighbour 
On that note, I'm going back to my reading. Watch this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|