Runs on food and music, will sing for chips and pasta.

Monday, March 23, 2009

Sky watching

I was driving home from a long lunch gathering at Peter's.  It was six-thirty in the evening and the traffic was heavy but flowing quite nicely on LDP highway.  Whenever I'm a reasonably good mood I look out to my horizon when I drive down this road to home...I saw blue sky, stirred up by large, long streaks of white clouds.  The blue was beautiful and the the nearly setting sun rays were rather intoxicating on this humid day.

Yes, intoxicating  -- it couldn't have been the wine...I had a two half glasses of sweet wine at the lunch but the alcohol have long worn off with me keep piling the food on my plates. 

The sky has always have some funny effect on me, mostly it lifts my mood.  Can't quite put my finger on this one but looking up and looking out to the sky sometimes `remove' me from wherever I am, and bring romantic thoughts of faraway journeys to the end of the earth. Images of sunsets give me positive thoughts about the future, I don't how that happens.

I wonder how many of us (city slickers) look at the sky even once in a day.  I imagine most of us look up ever only to check if a storm is looming only to decide if our appointments in town need to postpone or be brought forward, etc.  Our daily routine is such that we only need to look at the computer screen, look at our watches, look at the traffic lights, look at our partner to see if he is responding to our question (about where to have dinner), we look at the newspaper, look at restaurants menus, look at the SALE signs all over the malls, the price tags, the sign to the nearest toilets...parking paying machines, etc. 

When do we ever need to look at the sky or the trees?  We don't need to.

Maybe that's why it's such a pleasure (perhaps even a luxury for some people who needs to find time to even go toilet) to look and take in the vast beauty of the sky...nature.  I sat in my car earlier and asked myself to plan a getaway to somewhere where I can spend some quality time looking up at the sky...where?  

Ideally, I would like to see the Northern Light (Aurora) before I die....maybe it's a holiday I should be planning soon.  Time doesn't wait.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Michael Yip said...

Northern Light, I think every one in some part of their lives would want to witness it for themselves too.

After watching it's beauty in Nat Geo. I want to also go and capture it with my own camera and have it as part of my memory.

Wish you a great journey in planning for your trip.

12:08 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

|