Runs on food and music, will sing for chips and pasta.

Thursday, August 14, 2008

The price & joy of buying, owning and hoarding things...

I've done it, finally....I've created a photo catalogue of all my...erm, what I call the `gig wardrobe'. Took a few wee hours in the deep corner of two nights. Walking in and out of my master room, my bedroom, hall...hanging back all the dresses was a bitch. The dust from the dress protector was killing.

What a life I have....

I have yet to have rented out my empty master bed room in this flat which I rent. So the wardrobe in that room has been converted to my second wardrobe many months ago. It's a 4-door ceiling high wardrobe, curtest of the flat owner who's installed it. I keep all my handbags, knack sacks in two doors, and next to it I hang all my Cheongsams and some spare bed sheets
and pillows.
...then in the empty (not so empty at all now) room there's the spare mattress for my folks when they do visit and two big boxes of...more of my clothes, one for my shopping bags (I never really another shopping bag in my life). The other box house my more frequently used `gym clothes'...good for work out, dance class and theatre rehearsals.




So that's just the `empty room' and it's storeroom function.

Oh yes, the store room, the proper store room...of course, house MORE clothes. There is a little bag of all my `office clothes' - now `defunct' since I don't need them while I work from home. A box of clothes not worn for moons but not ready to part with yet, with some warm clothing for my rare trips to cold places. Then there's a container with roller for all my chunky accessories, hats, feather boas, more hats, hair pieces, etc. Piling up are also some random bags of clothes waiting to be altered, given away, etc.



Of course, then there's my bedroom where the the storage of `NOW clothes' is. Among the `NOW clothes' there are pieces that haven't the day light outside my flat for maybe a good whole two years. Cramped tightly in my main wardrobe is this...quirky array of colors, sequins, dresses, weird out numbers that I just don't have the heart to part with (little French-maid-like dresses I bought from flea markets, 80s Dianne Von cat suits). The towel hanger on the back of my door has been turned into a `gown hang-out place' where I hang some of my long gowns.














I have long grown out of this 4-door wardrobe in my room, I have been using the mobile clothes rack in my flat to keep my clothes in slightly better order. Recently the old one broke when I was looking for some skirts on the rack...too heavy. I left my room in a mess for one day while I went out and got myself a bigger & better rack.

While I clean and clear out my stuff in my flat, mainly the clothes...I never really stopped shopping in a period long enough for me to have worn all my clothes at least once. Also nowadays it's getting easier for a freak like me to get carried away in shopping, with the latest shopping culture in town - fashion flea markets & secondhand shops. So these days besides my human best friends, I have other friends with names in the likes of ThreadsZoo, Bijou, Scoop, ShowPink, Lapsap & Second Charm.














Speaking of clothes that haven't been worn...I also have books piling up from the floor that have not been read since they got into my flat. I used to picture my retirement days would be spent staying in in the house and have quiet days reading and finishing the books I collected. At the rate am going...it will take a miracle to finish reading all the books there, and of those that I keep buying when the mood comes or when I see something I cannot resist.

....ok, all this thinking and keeping record of what I own (some folks' ambition lie in owning properties...mine is just simpler) is giving me a migraine. I should get up and get dressed, time to go out for my dress alteration fitting, and off to rehearsal I go, in my gorgeous, second hand gym tights.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

better not let my wife see this post :). she'll want to use all the empty rooms in our place for clothes!!! as it is, i only own a small space in our entire walk-in.

6:05 PM

 
Blogger ezra smith said...

Hi there, just became aware of your blog through Google, and found that it is truly informative. I am gonna watch out for brussels. I’ll be grateful if you continue this in future. Numerous people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!
sheet set

3:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

|