Runs on food and music, will sing for chips and pasta.

Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Why can't those kids shut up at the movies?

* I have removed some specifics in this article, to avoid pointing finger at a certain demographic of people -- because my loved ones say it's bad taste and it doesn't reflect who I am, to those who doesn't know me. So I will leave you to read this -- now `censored' version of the truth, please note this is the version of truth (before I censor something) that I have encountered MANY times, which prompted my decision to report this phenomena.*



Went to watch a movie by myself last night, wanted to avoid driving home from Mid Valley at 6pm...crazy jam on the road right? Sex And The City it was then for me.

Went in on time, sat down next to two young girls (in their early twenties they seemed). Oh, please, I also want to add that one of them, or maybe it was both of them -- they smelled BAD. Deodorant, shower gel, perfume companies can really work on them.

Why were they smelly? How the heck would I know, I can only GUESS why. Long day at work? No budget for deodorant but plenty for hanging out at the GSC of Mid Valley? A B.O. situation?

Well, am ok with that, not something they can control. I whipped out my mobile perfume from my knack sack and put some on my wrist and on my cardigan. Whenever some nasty odour/smell hit my nose from my left side I smelled myself!

THAT WAS ALL FINE.

BUT THEY WOULDN'T STOP TALKING. They talked throughout the ads, fine. Talked throughout the film intro....I was hoping they'd stopped when the movie started proper. What were you thinking? OF COURSE they didn't stop.

Maybe they had problem understanding the dialogues on the screen? The Sex and The City jargon maybe? They made comments (loudly, not whispers), joked, asked each other question (told you they didn't understand it)...every 5 min or so.

I turned to the girl next to me and smiled and gestured `shut your gap please'. She looked at me with an expression that can only be found on this certain brand of morons in our country, exactly this kind, she and her friends were the epitome of this special brand of morons (same category as those incompetent sales/shop attendants who ignored your enquiries at the malls). She made the perfect, hmm, "Huh?" "What?" "What did I do now?" "Yea whatever." expression.

Can you imagine it? No? I shall demo one when I see you next time.

So it went on la, the commentary section (my seat was C10, the only talking morons in the cinema last night were on row C & B, must be my lucky day) stayed active throughout. The girl next to me also answered her phone, it was on silent but she picked up a call, how sensible of her to put her phone on silent...how gracious. She spoke to her friend like normal. I put on a even bigger smile and looked at her and gestured 'please stop this now'. She understood my request, a mildly disturbed expression but still she didn't understand why I was so demanding at getting her to stop on the phone...in the cinema.

Well, the smart person I am, I gave up telling the girls to shut up after that because even though it was highly distracting and annoying, they didn't raise their volume and the fashion on screen was just waaaay more interesting than the sound of my voice going "Please shut up, please stop talking."

Then another phone on silent received a call, this one from a guy on the same row. He answered the call and started a conversation, LOUD.

I didn't flinch i my seat but I hope he was going to stop talking in a few seconds. Of course he didn't.

I had a bag of half eaten Cheesels with me and I had this image of me aiming the bag at his direction n the chips falling on his head n his lap. But, sigh, at 31, I am determined to exercise more maturity even though starting a fight with a moron has always been boiling in my soul.

I waited, nope, he didn't stop. Ten seconds gone past...still talking, nobody there seemed to think it was outrageous.

"SHUT UP! SHUUUT THE FUCK UP!!!!" I turned to him and screamed...no it wasn't very loud but it was loud enough and everyone jumped.

I wish I was louder. But heck....I was in a room full of aliens, I was the CRAZY ONE, you see...they were normal, they belong in the same group. I was the crazy one keeping quiet during a movie...duh.

Anyway, just to tell you how this incident ended. As you can see, am still alive. The guy didn't beat me up or shouted back. He continued talking and then stopped, after maybe 30 seconds. And then the girls and their friends went back to their forum of the plot on screen...throughout. I kinda learned to tune out and just focus on the orgasmic fashion and the heart wrenching struggle (of reality and love) on screen.

Ok, I have used many words to tell you just one thing....which is exactly what my title says...

WHY CAN'T THOSE KIDS SHUT UP AT THE MOVIES?

(can anyone tell me why? more insights please at this phenomena, any suggestions at how to handle annoying talking Malays or Chinese or Indians or anyone for that matter, at the cinema?? Go home? Buy the DVD instead? Fist fights?....sit there and just take it all?)

Labels: ,

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oi janet leelee! got smelly noisy inconsiderate chinese indians and angmohs too you know!! ;))

12:44 PM

 
Blogger Going-Solo said...

Thank you Nicko for the observation :)

oh yes am sure they are smelly people all over...too bad I guess for them, I keeping meeting only the smelly Malays! You bet I will start an entry on annoying smelly/talking/moronic Chinese/Indians if I meet them. I pray I dont have to deal with more of this...

I think I better off watching the foreign films in the cinemas in the future, nobody ever goes to those so I will sit all alone and enjoy the movie.

BUY DVDs!!!!!!!!!!!

12:48 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

THIS IS NOT YOUR COUNTRY U STUPID GAYBOY THIS IS MALAY COUNTRY IF U CANT STAND MALAY SMELL GO LIVE OUTSIDE THIS COUNTRY

12:58 PM

 
Blogger ducky said...

In the absence of the foreigners, from personal observation, yes malays dudes and chicks talk a lot just like that general Indian receptionist. Chinese mofo cannot stop talking on their handphones, just like that cinema advert and Indians ? I havent watch a movie in cinema in ages, torrents are life savers.

1:01 PM

 
Blogger Kavi said...

looks like "anonymous" needs some English grammar lessons... LOL

1:05 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I salute you for daring to tell the truth! I stop going to cinemas for exactly the same reasons. They are noisy and very smelly.

Like ducky said, torrents is the best. Why pay to be annoyed by "them".

1:17 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We knew how you feel.

I am consider lucky, for so many times in the cinema, i've never encounter such people who talk throughout the movie.

2:14 PM

 
Blogger Going-Solo said...

Dear Anonymous :)
LOL --> haha, we are both hypocrites arent we? I hate MALAYS WHO TALK IN THE CINEMA and you -- YOU hate gay boys? tsk tsk, not nice to have prejudice huh like what you are preaching to me.

well, personally I dont think there is a Malay SMELL (so WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT??) as mentioned in your comment...

you moron, I mean THE SMELLY MALAYS, people in general with no personal hygiene - smell bad.

and you missed the point completely, I dun even have problem with smelly people, I just cant stand WHEN PEOPLE TALK IN THE CINEMA, again, I calling you moron bcoz you missed the point of the entry.

and oh, you missed something else too. Am a woman, obviously you are not smart enough to tell that. Nvm, I have to learn to tolerate stupidity in this country, and probably everywhere else :)

but hey, thanks for reading man!

3:50 PM

 
Blogger Going-Solo said...

hhaha, trigger happy.

i have so much to talk to Anonymous :)

yo moron -- how do you know this is not my country? i have a malaysian ID card and i voted in the election as a Malaysian. And pundek, THIS IS NOT A MALAY COUNTRY, THIS IS MALAYSIA.

now I can go on and have a really nice evening myself.

4:43 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favourite memory of dumbnuts at the cinema:

We were watching Jangan Pandang Belakang. I had the misfortune of sitting next to a girl who did nothing but SMS and chat with her friend for the entire duration of the movie. As far as I can tell, she wasn't watching the movie.

Except when something on the screen goes "BOO!" she would jump with a little scream, and then announce to everyone within 2-person vicinity about how "terkejut!" she was. Every bloody time.

6:42 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hoi pundek solo shit... this is not your country, we give you citizenship of this country... you get those ic because of our consent... so stop being stupid

10:05 PM

 
Blogger Sim Tong said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:07 PM

 
Blogger Sim Tong said...

Since she got her IC with your consent, you really should revoke her IC lah.

11:12 PM

 
Blogger sitting duck said...

I'm ashamed that at this day and age, we still hold on to the belief that one race is superior to another.

Dear Souldoctor,

Race is only skin deep. You can't be a souldoctor until you can peer past the skin and into the souls of your fellow earthlings.

I know you personally and hold true that you don't know what you're writing or its consequences. This article reminds me of the responsibility of authors and the consequences they have and the impact they can bring to this wonderful world. This article is just a sad unfortunate slip of the pen. We can still hope for a better future.

more on racism here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism

12:09 AM

 
Blogger .pRisSs@Li-Ning. said...

omg im so glad the crowd in the cinema i went for the SATC movie did everything right : laughed when it's funny, sniffed when it's sad etc.
lol. pity you...SATC wudve been perfect =)anyway, dis *IS* typical msian habit in the cinema. u're bound to stumble upon idiots sooner or later. *shrugs*

6:37 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is a sad reflection of our people, our nation and the future of this country!

We have institutionalised discrimination in this country. Unless this is removed completely, unless we recognised all Malaysians as Bangsa Malaysia, and not Bangsa Melayu, Bangsa Cina, Bangsa India dll.. we will always have segregation of the races.. Maybe this is the intention of the People in Power?!

On a lighter note, if you want an enjoyable cinema experience, which as paying cinema-goers are entitled to, perhaps try Premium Class or Gold Class. Sure they are more expensive, but your experience would be so much better, esp when you consider an environment that is smell-free, talk-free and sms-free.. (ah, it is possible after all!! )

11:46 PM

 
Blogger jesscet said...

I think some people are reading too much into a ranting piece which I can totally empathize with. I'm sure Janet would also `bitch' about what happen IF those kids were of any other race! Come on, the issue here is general cinema-going etiquette, but I agree with her that as a fact, those of certain gender, age group and RACE are normally the culprit of cinema nuisance - i'm NOT stating just ONE race but you can observe it yourself!

So pls stop bringing in your lecture on racism and Bangsar Malaysia here and disply your holier-than-thou attitude.

And to `anonymous', why are YOU being anonymous when you're so proud of being the superior race!? Have the ball to use your name!

Gees, can't believe the reactions here.

Yes, I have learned to be wiser and if it's a good movie, I will fork out extra RM10 and watch it in Signature GSC!

2:41 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

|