Runs on food and music, will sing for chips and pasta.

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

The Singing Cats I Know


Are you one of those who only buy foreign music, watch only imported performances like Fame, Cats and go to Singapore to watch Rent? We know these people, those who have never heard of local artists, "Julian Mokthar? Who's that?", "Who's Pete Teo?", "What Orange?"...."...Local singers? I only like Sheila Majid."

I am the more fortunate few who are exposed to local products at young age. I read about the people in local theatre when I was in Form 3. So when I finally came down to live in KL in 1996, I took buses, trains, to watch plays put up by local folks. Dramalab and Instant Cafe Theatre were the first two I knew off those days.

Anyway, I want to tell you that last week, these two very young Malaysian girls became top ten Chinese singers in the world...and they are not even famous by reality TV standard and you'd probably not know them if you didn't read about them here.

Sin Sim & Evelyn Toh took part in this singing competition for Chinese people held in Taiwan just a week ago and came out number seven and number nine, amongst sixty hopefuls from all over the world.



I have pride myself as the friend who styled Sin Sim for her last two international championships. Evelyn Toh, however, has a large wardrobe.

These pictures were taken by Sweet J during the three night concert of Voices Of The women last year. Old faithful manual Canon with speed film, no flash. I love these pictures...Sin Sim and Evelyn sang the Cat Duet by Rossini, with costumes by Signal Master and the singers themselves.


Sin Sim, the real Chilipadi stood prepared for her soulful Rusalka aria...dress is Beatrice Looi.


EVelyn Toh flashed winning smile after her now signature number of Tong Bei Lullaby, which also won her the prize for Best Chinese Folk Song in the championship last week.



The concert was memorable without a doubt...

happy singers...


The no-nonsense backdrop...


So if you think you know good singers here in KL, I might know better :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|