Runs on food and music, will sing for chips and pasta.

Thursday, December 01, 2005

High on Being Broke and Singing

Woke up this morning and got new email from the director. It's the treatment she promised at last night's rehearsal. `Treatment' in this context as I understand it, is a description of a theatrical work on its every scene and act....right.

I read Jo's treatment for act one to act three and found myself turning in my seat...as my eyes roll over the pages, I could see the spectacular scenes unfold in front of my laptop screen...the lone designer on stage...the fashionable high society, the shows...

You have to be in this exciting work process long enough to share my obsession and emotions for its every step taken, and magic discovered during rehearsals.

I came to consciousness again when I finished reading the paper. A friend came online to chat and offered a part time job, yes, I need the mullah but quick phone consultation with Sweet J later, reminded myself of what I want to do – sing.

I took out my Trinity examination report and make a copy, so that I could pin it right above my laptop and where I could see it every time I practice in my room --- my distinction score of 90 over 100, marked by Mister Harold Jones himself, of Trinity College London.

My coach said I worked extra hard for that exam, I remembered going through all the songs many many times the months before the exams. I want to remember and pile in even more work for next year’s exam, this time the effort has to triple, for I will need to perform at least eight to nine songs in one sitting, each to mastery. Just the thought of that send chills to my spine…each song to mastery, from aria to oratorio to lieder to French art song to Rossini to Vivaldi…can ah?

Nothing is quite impossible, I know. It’s all a matter of determination and discipline in this case. I have something like a year to excel in these nine songs…

And it’s about time to get over my I-hate-my-voice phase. It’s taken me this long to take the plunge of singing full time, I owe it to myself to work for the best – whatever it is.

At this point, I would like to feature my first client reference:


"On our wedding night, a lot of things didn't really go well as we wished for ...but as Janet started to sing, her graceful and soothing voice calmed us down and made us smile as if to tell us to let go of things that were bothering us, and to cherish the moment of being married to each other. And we did.

Our wedding might not be perfect, but we were glad to have found a perfect wedding singer for the perfect moments. It was just simply magical.

Thank you Janet."

-- Grace and Koh






Thank you Grace and Koh...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|