Runs on food and music, will sing for chips and pasta.

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Of Monkeys and Dinosuars

Last night rehearsal had me on my feet most of the time, the second half of it anyway. Did breathing exercises from 7pm, I was to look at Cindyin a steady gaze and `share' my breath with her and hers. Who would thought breathing is difficult, I literally forgot to breath when I use all energy in just, looking at her in the eye.

Slowly I catch up with my breathe with Jo's help and constant reminding. We eventually went from steely gaze at each other to our song lines in the scene...eyes were moist, teary and throat dried with mixed emotions.

We continued with group exercise on group breathing....then the animal business started. To work on our ensemble energy, we turned into penguins, yes, we literally TURNED penguins and you could tell when we stopped `acting' and be what we were told to BE. Then M walked into the studio late as the slightly-confused polar bear on the hunt of penguins (Sweet J told me that polar bears and penguins can never meet -- North pole and South pole -- I told him that it was a rehearsal in Sunway college, so it was possible for these creatures to be there).

Then more polar bears on the hunt were created and soon, Jo introduced dinosaurs within the group. The remaining penguins stayed true to their community spirit and stayed closed to each other but eventually were out-numbered and left a lone dinosaur in the space.

It was good exercise in working on body awareness. But the real killer came after the break -- we were monkeys with a busy surrounding, with hyenas, elephants, models, leopards, humans, peanuts and bananas. We were told to do beyond just `look like' monkeys but have the characteristics and instincts of monkeys, and be alert and mindful. can't articulate the teaching much but I know it's towards strong acting, with clear body language, and ensemble energy.

More rehearsal with Jo, of Monday's session, read Michelle's entry on her blog...she records really well :)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|