Runs on food and music, will sing for chips and pasta.

Monday, February 27, 2006

Don't Hate Me, Learn From Me

Got into the cages for my third SPAC jumble sale at 10:10am, left at 11:40am, total damage = RM 88

latest addition to my wardobe

all the clothes were at RM2 each...

a Donna Karan NY white shirt bodysuit
a Zara Woman black shirt
a podka dot dress by Sonny San
a Tammy long black dress
a Je'taime peasant top
several vintage blouses, my fave one is a see thro black blouse with ruffles on the front
several vintage dresses
some batek shirts
some skirts (to turn into tube dresses)
a lingerie slip

I also got some amazing necklaces and earrings at unbelievable prices, only at SPCA jumble sale...perfect for my shirt shirt and jeans combo, or with those flirty dresses.

Drenched in animal furs and perspire, I left the crowded SPCA....leaving the maddening heat and absolutely adorable dogs, mostly ignoring the madness around them and sleeping in their shaded cages.

I get the evil look from women all the time, for owning some of the quirkiest, most amazingly affordable frocks, sexy drapes, bags, crazy earrings and anything female...but what they don't see is the effort put in.

You want these clothes you literally got to work for it -- shopping in flea markets like SPCA jumble sale is not for everyone, especially the faint hearted ones, with allergies to animal furs, dust and sweaty crowd. In places like PJCC Community Link outlets, you need to wade thro mountains of donated clothing to get to your amazing evening dress at RM8, etc.

The slightly comfortable ones are Second Charm (TTDI), Amcorp Mall on Sundays, even so, you need to get used to the idea of getting your dainty hands dirty in boxes of old clothes, that smell like old clothes, to harvest your gems. Now you can get your second hand DESIGNER gear at Plaza Mon't Kiara (Block E, Treasures) where the outlet is quiet and fully-air-conditioned with clean changing room, for the price you will pay.

Don't forget to sacrifice at least one whole day when you travel overseas, whether it's for business or with family, to snoop around the local opportunity shops (they call it that in UK and Australia, I think) and flea markets on weekends (usually). Surf the net before you leave, or better, when you check into your hotel, have a quick chat with your hotel personnel on where to go, how to go. I still get enquiries on the first item I bought in Sydney, a 8-dollar leather belt I bought at this Sunday market right down the road from the King's Cross hotel...at the same market I got my 8-dollar Audrey-inspired dress, an Indian-wrap skirt that has been getting endless compliments, 5 years after I have bought it in King's Cross, Australia.

In Hong Kong on business, I got time off from my boss to scan-shop around Causeway Bay one afternoon. In a dingy boutique on stock clearance sale, I got my turquoise blue suede boots for RM50, two sizes too big, as usual, the sales girl offered two pairs of shoe cushions to have the boots fit me.

So the key word here is...perseverance and never say I don't knwo where to go, if you don't want great clothes for cheap prices, you won't find them.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|