Runs on food and music, will sing for chips and pasta.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Not saying goodbye

Perth was incredibly hot this March. It was as if we brought the Malaysian climate to down south.

Dama did it again, bringing Malaysian Dama-Orchestra style theatre to the Perth folks. Many, many of our audience in this second Dama-at-His-Majesty's Theatre outing were Malaysians living in Perth or other parts of Australia.

I remember being on standby with Sam & Soo Suan backstage minutes before the overture starts, back in the KLPac staging, my heart was in my throat and my heart beat louder than the drums as the music started.

That Friday night in Perth at the magnificent His Majesty's Theatre, on opening night, however, I didn't have to manage as many butterflies as I did back in October last year. I was half relieved and half apprehensive about my lack of nerves. I was half relieved because I work best when I am relax on stage, half apprehensive because I fear I was losing enthusiasm in my part.

But I know I wasn't. Having gone down so many awkward to hilarious to emotional paths in the rehearsal rooms, it would be hard to let Lulu go so soon. How can I?
Lulu's earrings, my own prop, I borrowed it from my vast earring collection during early rehearsal and it became the real prop on stage. This will be my only accessory from the show that I get to keep because they're mine, in every sense of the word.

My first real kiss on stage, thank you Sam for doing most of the work, and our 'threesome' partner, Kai Loon for having the patience, and the patience with us.

My first bob wig in a Twiggy dress, thank you Dominique :)

My first real, true-to-god, heart-wrenching experience in bringing out the pain & tears from Lulu, a happy person. Thank you to all of you who helped me explore the emotions.

My first mother role on stage, what a joy to have a cutie like you Bobby :)

I have the folks who called the shot in Dama Orchestra to thank, for having the faith in me to play this role, and to tackle an incredible song like Red Face. It's them who gave me the opportunity to learn on the job to play Lulu, and thus nudging me ahead to further my studies, and training in stage craft...ok, acting.

I remember my fear for stage acting. I would refused to attend any audition if acting is an element in the show being put up. It took a few years for me to realise what a dork I was, singing and performing is never far from stage acting. They all go together, dancing, singing & acting...when you are not shy from these, only then you become a learner of the stage, and maybe, a performer.

But honestly, after a handful of musicals & theatre outings, I still have shivers just thinking about the enormous task of bringing a character on stage. What a great responsibility it is, to ask the audience to trust you in bringing them to the world of your character and live in your make believe world for two hours.

Because it's sheer magic, so I'm staying put in theatre. I would be lucky if I get one chance in a year to work in the theatre but I am grateful if I have it at all.

Till the next one.



Saw this in KLPac wall recently, that's me in the middle with two ladies of The Magic Flute, I played Second Lady in the concert of the wonderful Singspiel by Mozart in 2007. (First Lady was played by Kho Mei Ling, Third Lady by Wang DiXia, the shot below were Prince Tamino, played by Peter Ong and on the right was Papageno, played by James Long)

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Aragang said...

Well done, Janet! Regret not having the chance to catch you on-stage. But kudos on a job well-done!

6:05 PM

 
Blogger Salameander said...

Hugs from us, Janet. It's wonderful to read of your experiences as you blossom as a performer. Wish I could have been there to journey with you. :)

10:09 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:27 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

|