Runs on food and music, will sing for chips and pasta.

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

My Jan 1 this year


all pics by Justin Tan

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw him continued to take another small bunch of my hair to twist into yet another...ribbon? Flower arrangement? In my hair!

I take my hat off to Sam of A Cut Above at the BSC outlet. Glad I was, that as a first time client there (the busiest branch of all A Cut Above outlets) they gave me a senior stylist. It was difficult enough for me to get an appointment there a week ago, with help from Eunice who worked on the Butterfly Lovers hair team.

Was through and sick of having to sit through hair-do sessions with stylists who took an hour alone to figure my hair out...yes, I have a head of beautiful, shinny, dark, STRAIGHT and long hair and they just couldn't have taken longer to get my hair up (for special performances that I create a certain look for).

I decided to try out GraceSalon or A Cut Above this time round for my Jan 1 gig at the Shangri-la. Grace Salon was closed on the 1st so I tried A Cut Above.

Eunice told me it won't be a hassle once I settle with a regular hair stylist.

All this talk of hair salons and becoming regular customer...for better or worse, singing has become, certainly, a business for me. I remember the thrill of being made-up for the first time by professional make-up team for the stage, and being measured for costumes for theatres...

Another look I created for the performance, golden Chinese songstress in the 40s? What do you think? I bought the cheongsam from 2nd hand shop Second Charm, flower in the hair was picked up from some market, Sam pinned it nicely for me
Leonard Yap on piano

And the first time I bought dresses that would be fit for the stage at the flea markets, that sense of...I don't know what to call it but it felt important and I felt like a career woman, a woman who works for herself, her own boss.

Leonard Yap who played for me at the Shang, is one who delights you with passion, creativity and fire in his music. Reads a lot and is a young chap who has many insights and thoughts about our music industry.
We hung out during our `intermission'...check out my incredible hair-do, it's going to take me weeks to get over that...amazed I am!

Justin (who was also my video man and photographer of the evening, I'm deeply, totally privileged) took me out after the performance at the lovely (and feisty menu!) Lebanese eatery at Changkat Raja Chulan where we had red wine. Red wine is popular antioxidant, Justin said...Discovery Channel's Live Longer documentary also endorsed that :)
Goofing...


So with that done, I now have a nice spanking new repertoire, not many, compact enough to make a small performance la, in Chinese!!! Songs from early 40s right up to the Teresa classics in 70s.

Am loving it.

Watched video of my performance of that evening (converted into DVD by Jon whom I owe Baskin Robbins to), heard some funny notes here and there, really isn't funny for the singer. As my performance progressed the flat notes disappeared, nerves I think.

With every new gig I discovered more and more things to improve for my next one. The challenge comes when you are entrusted with more singing assignments, hence less time to perfect each performance...more jobs, more challenge, tighter schedule to perfect the music.

Why do some people think a career in music needs less brains?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|