Runs on food and music, will sing for chips and pasta.

Friday, December 08, 2006

Music is life...

I don't know if it's right to judge music by saying, good music is the kind that move me to tears.

my first operatic experience, chorus of Tosca in 2003...we all survived our extremely brief stage appearance in act one and remained backstage till curtain call, every night.
I guess it's hard to imagine a fine piece of upbeat music can make one tear...

While am busy transferring music from my old laptop to my new PC, I open some of my old music and voila, good music (good recording) never fails to make me stop in my way and usually, I just feel so moved I want to cry.

singing at some dinner soiree...
The minute after that feeling would be that I'm so lucky to be alive to receive the gift of music on my healthy ears.

the best choral experience for me, still -- Turandot run at Penang (and at Istana Budaya KL), 2003. from left - myself, Ashley, Callista & Evelyn
backstage at VOTW (Voices of The Women, 2004) concert, conductor Cheng May educates the public with fine music selection. oh ya, I helped style the look of the choir :) -- I made all the corsages for the singers
from left - myself, Veronica, Lisan, Callista, Cheryl, Nicole & Serena
Do you ever feel that once in a while? Yes?

It's always inspiring to listen to good singing...boost my vocals when I open my mouth to sing. Listening to good musicianship is also my reminder to respect my music more and it tells me to work harder in doing the music justice.

pic by Justin Tan, National Classical Singing Competition (Southern Region) 2002
Earlier I was listening to Renee Fleming sing Wally, now Joan Sutherland singing about the Gentle Lark.

My last chorus...The Pyggy Girls (Pygmalion The Musical, 2005) are KayLi, Nicole, myself, Tabitha & Cristina
Not long ago I was sitting on some stairs at No Black Tie listening to Mia singing one of her originals, What It Means and tears just swelled in my eyes when she sang her first line. I still don't know what it was...is it a piece of music with a lot of heart and soul in it or is it the musician presenting the music?

my first `French appearance', I learned my first French art song (Poulenc's Les chemis de l'amour) for Susanna Saw's Young KL Singers' concert, 2002
Now..

If only I could now transform these lovely thoughts into some sure fire way of improving my singing and my music.

pic by Justin Tan, Zal and I posed for a gig publicity picture, ages ago...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|