Runs on food and music, will sing for chips and pasta.

Monday, July 30, 2007

the good reminder...

Don't we all love it? A good night out with friends over dinner and silly drinking and non-stop laughter, jokes & entertainment (sometimes on others' expense if we couldn't help it)...let's face it, money can't buy the joy derived from genuine human friendship.

Anyway, I love coming home from one evening like that and having something useful to say to myself. A night such as this one.

Some thespians commented on a recent live performance they saw and started a discussion on singing and how a singer could kill a song. You can kill a song by singing just the right words, the perfect pitch and melody, but Merely the lyrics and the right pitch wouldn't give life to the song, not without your heart and soul pour into it.

Isn't that quite the simplest rule in performing? Do it with all your heart?

Quite the simplest and yet so easy that we performers ignore that from time to time. "You can't just say the words, all the right words, you have to mean all that you are saying...and singing." said M over some one's comment of some recent incident of rather, lack-lustre performance.

I came home fully alert even though it's bloody two in the morning, just chewing on those words in my head and thought to myself, what a great reminder for so many people, especially good for myself, particularly me, who's been putting too much time in worrying over stage fright and overcoming it.

I won't anymore, for as best as I can :) I shall spend my precious moments thinking about the music I'm bringing to the people I'm singing to, or maybe I do even that, I shall just focus more on the songs I'm presenting and what I am to mean, in those songs.

What a great reminder to start my week off, another great week in music-learning. Thank you M!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|