Runs on food and music, will sing for chips and pasta.

Thursday, September 02, 2004

a very BIG subject

I want to talk about something, it's a big subject, on human emotional attachment to materials...

Poor Sunny Boy got broken in again, this time in PJ sec 17, outside Justin's place. The damage:

1. Of course, the coins in the coin-box, about RM20.
2. Of course, again, my sun shades, this time is MNG shades, bought during sale, RM40. The last pair I lost in my car was bought in the funky Hong Kong, about RM60.
3. Naf Naf jacket, RM110.
4. Touch-n-Go card, value RM26.50.

They didn't take (surprise-surprise):

1. MNG Ugh boots, RM475
2. Low-yatt plaza Austin-power-color flat-shoes, RM50

What's the emotional attachment we all have with certain material objects in our lives, everyday-life? My theory is: what matters to us is the feelings they bring us when we are using/wearing/eating/etc these objects. Eg. my attachment to my (my ex, now that it's gone) MNG shades is the confidence I have whenever I put in it on, whenever a friend compliment on it makes me feel a little more achieved, more stylish...read: feeling good about yourself = happiness.

If you do this like a mathematical equation, it would look like this:

MNG glasses = confidence/feeling-stylish = feeling about myself = (ok, i admit, it's short-term) happiness

hence, today I lost my MNG glasses,

no MNG glasses = loss of confidence = feeling naked without my glasses/feel lousy = depression

huh?

ok I suppose that sucks. That's not the reality, life is more complicated than a straight forward mathematical equation.

The real impact of the incident is that it makes me think hard about what my belongings mean to me. I fear myself getting more and more attached to materials.

I should start a forum on this subject.

Back to the story:

When I saw the driver's door ajar and the mess in the car, I quickly pulled open the door and look at the door pocket where I usually place my CD folder, it's gone. My heart sank and I sat down, controlling tears. My CDs!!!! Again!!!! My most precious items in the car aside from the super-duper CD player.

Feeling violated, I moved my gaze to my bag next to me....hang on, hang the fuck on, WHEeeewwwww, my CDs are safe with me. The CD folder is in my bag!! Now I remember taking the folder into the house with me last night. I could kiss the ground, what relieve!! CDs are more than just money-invested, some of them are irreplaceable.

We shall talk about other kind of attachments/obsessions on another day.

Mournfully yours, (cheers!!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|